Many fans of virtual reality are already waiting for Sony’s new PS VR2. In the following we will tell you all the important information about the new PlayStation VR2.
Table of Contents
- 1 PlayStation VR2 | Goggles, Controller & Specs of the PSVR 2
Not only the specs, but also the design of the PS VR2 has been improved. (Image source: Sony PlayStation)
PSVR2 Release & Price
Currently there is no official information on the price of the PS VR2. However, for the release of Sony PlayStation VR2 called a rough timeframe: early 2023.
So you can assume that the PS VR2 will probably be released in the first quarter of 2023. Sony has revealed the release time window on several social media channels:
PlayStation VR2 glasses
The PlayStation VR2 glasses resemble the spherical design of the PS VR2 Sense controller. The ergonomics of the headset should offer more comfort and for different head sizes equally well suited be.
With the glasses, the headband and the visor can be individually adjusted and changed. Besides, there is now new functions such as ventilation and a lens adjustment wheel. With the latter, you have an additional option to adjust the distance between the lens and your eyes. In addition, the new glasses are slimmer and lighter than its predecessor.
PSN Balance | 50 EUR | German account | PS5/PS4 Download Code
The price may be higher now. Price as of 08/28/2022 02:42
PSVR2 – Technical Specifications
The specs of the new PS VR2 are officially confirmed by Sony. You will find the following innovations in the PlayStation VR2:
- OLED display: The new OLED display of the glasses has a resolution of 2000×2040 pixels per eye and a frame rate of 90 Hz or 120 Hz. It offers 4K HDR with a 110 degree field of view.
- Headset-based controller tracking: The headset has built-in cameras. They track you and the movements with your controllers. Your Directions of sight are reflected in the game, there is no more external camera. The new feature is called inside-out tracking.
- Eye Tracking: With the new Eye tracking recognizes the PS VR2 your eye movements, so that looking in a certain direction can generate additional interactions for the character.
- Headset Feedback: The feedback comes from vibration of a single integrated motor, built into the headset. This should allow you to feel different impressions in the game itself, such as the airflow from objects flying past your character.
- Just one more cable.
This is what the PS VR2 looks like from the inside, as well as the two new controllers. (Image source: Sony PlayStation)
For the sake of clarity, the following table shows you all the specs of the new PS VR2.
|screen resolution||2000×2040 pixels per eye|
|refresh rate||90HZ, 120HZ|
|field of view||110 degrees|
|sensors||Motion Sensor: Six-axis sensor system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer) / Fixture sensor: IR proximity sensor|
|cameras||4 cameras for headset and controller tracking / IR camera for eye tracking|
|Communication with the PS5||USB-C|
|Audio||Input: Built-in Microphone / Output: Stereo Headphone Jack|
PlayStation VR2 Sense Controller
The new Sense controller is intended to enable an increased sense of physical presence and greater immersion for the VR experiences. It builds on the key features of the DualSense controller.
The new design is based on a sphere. It should allow you to hold the controller more comfortably in your hands and feel freer than before while playing.
The functions of the new controller
As already mentioned, the features of the Sense controller are heavily influenced by the DualSense and are intended to create a new VR experience. The following functions are known and confirmed:
- Adaptive triggers: The left and right VR controllers feature an adaptive trigger button that can provide noticeable resistance when pressed (similar to the DualSense’s L2 and R2 buttons).
- Haptic feedback: The haptic feedback should be adapted to the shape of the controller. This should make you feel a difference whether you’re trekking through rocky deserts or wielding your weapons in melee combat.
- Finger touch detection: You want the controller to recognize where your thumbs and index or middle fingers are placed, even when you’re not applying pressure with them.
- Tracking: The movements of the Sense controller are tracked by the new VR headset via a tracking ring on the bottom of the controller.
This is what the new Sense controller looks like. (Image source: Sony PlayStation)
For the sake of clarity, the following table shows you all the specs of the new Sense controller:
|Keys||Right: PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle/Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick/R3 button / Left: PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle/Square), L1 button, L2 button, left stick/L3 button|
|Sensing/Tracking||Motion sensor: Six-axis sensor system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer) / Capacitive sensor: finger touch detection / IR LED: position tracking|
|feedback||Trigger effect (on R2/L2 button), haptic feedback (by single motor per unit)|
|port||USB port (Type-C)|
|communication||Bluetooth version 5.1|
|battery pack||Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery|
New features of the PSVR2
Sony has now officially introduced some new features of the PlayStation VR2, the information here is mainly about the PS VR2 user experience and user interface (UI).
With the You can still look at your surroundings with the headset on, this is possible due to the integrated front cameras. You can press the function button on the headset or use the tile in the PlayStation menu to toggle between viewing the environment and viewing the VR content.
Transmission function & customized play area
the transfer function makes it possible for her film yourself while playing. For this you have to connect the HD camera of the PS5 to the console.
Besides, you can Adjust the play area using the Sense controllers and the integrated cameras. The cameras can scan your room. You can then use the PS VR2 controllers to manipulate the play area to suit your own play style and room environment.
You can adapt the play area to your room environment. (Image source: Sony PlayStation)
If you come too close to the limit you set while playing, you will receive a warning about this. As long as the PS VR2 is connected, you can change the setting.
VR and cinema mode
in the VR mode can you in the View VR game content in 360 degrees. The content is displayed in HDR video format with a resolution of 4000 x 2040 (2000 x 2040 per eye) and a frame rate of 90 Hz or 120 Hz.
in the Cinema mode will that PS5 system, UI, and all “non-VR mode” content and media content on a virtual cinema screen displayed before your eyes. Legacy VR users already know this view. In cinema mode, content is also displayed in HDR video format, but with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and 24/60 Hz or a frame rate of 120 Hz.
You don’t want to miss any more news, guides and tests for new games? Always want to know what’s happening in the gaming community? Then follow us on Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Flipboard or Google News.